For projects involving multiple engineers, such as those where we are developing more than one application interfacing with an API/Service/System or where one platform is sufficiently complex, it may be beneficial to have a Tech Lead, which is an engineer who is responsible for:
- Understanding (at a high level) the overall technical ecosystem we are driving towards
- Helping coordinate the technical details across the various disciplines on the project to ensure consistent implementation
- Being the single authority and point person for PM/PO/AM contact when technical questions arise.
Tech Leads must dedicate extra time to following the planning and progress of different platforms. Depending on the project, this may include:
- Increased involvement in backlog grooming
- Increased time dedicated to code reviews across multiple platforms, at least to see what is being changed, if not to outright read through code
- Proactively speaking to opportunities to realign priorities or find efficiencies in consideration of their broader system awareness
A dedicated Tech Lead for a given project may be requested by either the project leadership (PM or PO) should the project scope require the role, or by the engineering team staffed to the project by raising the request to the project leadership (PM or PO). Any level II or above engineer may be nominated as a Tech Lead, but they should have preferably demonstrated an aptitude for architectural issues and multi-platform development.
The Tech Lead will be provided with an appropriate amount of time based on the specific project scope and level of complexity to perform the additional responsibilities described above.