Vokal Engineering Interview Process
The typical Engineering Interview Process has up to four stages. Each stage is standard across disciplines unless otherwise noted.
Initial in-person meeting
The first stage of the interview process is a face-to-face meeting with director for whatever discipline the candidate is applying for.
- A Vokal recruiter has already vetted the candidate with a phone screen
- The discipline director has accepted the resume as somebody they'd like to follow up with
- Conversation is about 30 minutes in length
- Results of this stage should determine whether or not code challenges should be scheduled
- All necessary info (resume, GitHub profile, etc) will be entered into Recruiterbox before reaching this stage
Instructions on conducting a code challenge can be found here
- A maximum of 2 code challenges occur for every candidate
- Challenges should be time boxed at 1 hour, with 50 minutes dedicated to completing the challenge
- If a challenge ends early the interviewer should spend time with the candidate discussing the role and selling Vokal's engineering team
- The coding portion of a challenge should stop at the 50 minute mark to allow 10 minutes of conversation with the candidate
- Code challenges can and should be diversified across disciplines.
All candidates participate in a group interview for the final round.
- Interview should be 3-5 people. No more, no less.
- Anybody who has participated in a previous stage of the interview should not necessarily be in the group interview.
- Smaller discipline teams are the exception to the 3-5 participants rule.
- Group interviews involve everybody at once.
- This stage should continue to be technical in nature and one or more discussion topics should be defined.
- Notes from the candidate's code challenges should be provided to all members of the group interview
- This information should be available via Recruiterbox
Retros are an opportunity to discuss the decisions on the candidate as well as highlighting any interview processes changes that might need revision
- Hire/No-hire decisions should be submitted by interviewers before the retro
- The relevant discipline director will host a retro after the interview has concluded